Get started with Tekla Structures
Welcome, let's get you up and running with Tekla Structures! Expand the relevant sections below for step-by-step instructions and useful links.
Create your Trimble Identity
You need a Trimble Identity to download the software and to use your online licenses:
- If you have received an email invitation from Trimble to create a Trimble Identity, follow the instructions in the email to create your account to ensure you have the correct access rights. If you have not received an invitation, create a new Trimble Identity using your work email address so you can download the software. Click here to create a new Trimble Identity. For more instructions, see Create your Trimble Identity.
- Go to your email, and click the activation link in the email you receive from
- After confirming your email, Log in at https://account.tekla.com/, fill in all the required profile information, and click Save.
If you are responsible for managing Tekla Structures users and online licenses, add users to your organization group in the Tekla Online Admin tool to give them full access to Tekla online services and the necessary online licenses. For more information on the Admin tool and online licenses, see Manage Trimble Identities and Tekla Online licenses.
Download and install Tekla Structures
Tekla Structures administrators can distribute the software using a customized installation that contains your company settings. If available, use your company installation package instead of the general installation package. For more information on creating customized installation packages, see Centralized distribution of Tekla Structures 2021.
Note: To ensure a good experience using our software, make sure your computer meets the Tekla Structures 2021 Hardware Recommendations.
- Download the installation package for Tekla Structures and at least one of the Tekla Structures environments from Tekla Downloads. At the site, click Download for a guided experience that ensures you have all necessary files.
- Run the Tekla Structures installer. The only choices you need to make are the language you want to use in the installer and the installation folder
- If you install in the default Program Files folder, additional files including environments are installed in the hidden Program Data folder. This may be preferred when installing for other users if you do not want them to change the configurations themselves.
- If you choose a different installation location, all files are installed in the folder you choose. This is a better option if you manage your own installation of Tekla Structures as accessing and changing the configurations is simpler.See Install and license Tekla Structures if you need more detailed instructions.
- Run the environment installer(s).If you do not install any environment, only the Blank environment is available. Do not use the Blank environment to edit models or drawings; it is only a starting point meant as a basis for building your own full customized environment and does not contain all of the tools and configurations you need to work efficiently.
- If you have on-premises licenses, you must now install licensing tools on your own hardware and activate the licenses. For instructions, see Tekla Structures on-premises licensing.
Start using Tekla Structures
- Start Tekla Structures and log in using your Trimble Identity when prompted.
- Tekla Structures asks you to choose the type of license to use. Proceed with the default online license option.
- Online licenses are stored in Trimble's cloud service. Licenses can be from your Tekla Online organization, or assigned to you as an external license user in some other organization.
- If you purchase your own licenses, you can manage them in the Admin tool. The administrator user(s) in your company are responsible for joining other users to the organization and assigning the licenses to them. For more instructions, see Manage Trimble Identities and Tekla Online licenses.
After license selection, a dialog box where you choose your Tekla Structures setup appears.
- The Environment list contains the environments you have downloaded and installed. These contain localized tools and settings related to your work, such as profiles.
- The Role selection defines program settings, such as the ribbon layout.
- The Configuration list includes the configurations you are licensed to use. These define which Tekla Structures features you can use.
You are now ready to start using Tekla Structures:
Learn Tekla Structures
To get you started quickly, we have several learning resources available for you.
First steps learning in Tekla User Assistance
Basic elearning courses at Tekla User Assistance allow you to practice Tekla Structures at your own pace. To get a quick overview of the basics, check out the First steps with Tekla Structures course.
Elearning certificate courses in Learn.Trimble
Register a Learn.Trimble account, enroll to a course, take an exam, and get a certificate.
Elearning certification courses for Tekla Structures and other Trimble products are available at Trimble's learning portal:
- Go to Learn.Trimble.com. For the best experience, we recommend using Chrome or Firefox.
Click Register in the top right corner.
Fill out the two-page registration form. Use the same email address that you used when creating your Trimble Identity – this helps us provide you with better customer service.
- See all available Tekla eLearning materials.
To enroll in elearning content, click on the Enroll button.
If the course content is free, you can start learning right away. If the content is commercial, you will be placed on a waiting list and the training team will be in contact with you.
If you have any problems using the Learn.Trimble service, click the Contact Support link displayed at the bottom of every page.
On your next visit, sign in using the Trimble Identity option (requires that you registered with the same email address that you used when creating your Trimble Identity).
In-depth training with your local Tekla reseller
When you know the basics, contact your local Tekla reseller for in-depth training that will take your productivity to the next level.
Introduction to Tekla Support Services
Questions? Help is at hand:
- Tekla User Assistance provides one-stop access to the full product documentation, video tutorials, basic elearning courses, and technical support articles written by our customer support professionals around the world.
- Tekla discussion forum is the place to meet other users and discuss topics related to Tekla products. You can ask questions, contribute to the community by sharing your knowledge or get answers from support personnel.
- Tekla helpdesks support the customers' daily operations so that our systems function as expected and any problems are solved as quickly as possible.
Collaboration Tools Keep You Connected
Tekla Structures is strong on collaboration:
- Share project files and deliverables between all project members: Trimble Connect Business is included in your Tekla Structures subscription. For more information on how you can use Trimble Connect from within Tekla Structures, see Trimble Connector.
- Collaborative modeling anywhere: start your free evaluation of Tekla Model Sharing now. For more information on how Tekla model sharing works, see What is Tekla Model Sharing and Work with Tekla Model Sharing.