Export to IDEA StatiCa Connection Design
Before exporting connections to IDEA StatiCa, you are advised to be aware of the limitations. Then, you can proceed to follow the detailed instructions to perform the export.
- 10.1 (build 10.1.113 or later)
The following geometrical limitations should be noted.
- Connection checks to BS 5950 are not supported.
- For connections identified as ‘Moment Connections’ using Update connections in Tekla Structural Designer any out of plane members are not exported.
- For any connections identified in Tekla Structural Designer the brace members are not passed through to IDEA StatiCa.
- For any connection type, haunches are not exported.
- Tekla Structural Designer uses ToS and the wire model is at this level too. The export to IDEA depicts the ToS so that the 3D graphic looks correct. However, the wire model typically connects at offsets of half the beam depth. This introduces additional forces/moments due to eccentricity of line of action etc. This line of action of the force set can be adjusted in IDEA StatiCa.
Instructions for the export to IDEA StatiCa
- Right-click the connection in a Scene View.
- Choose Export Connection to IDEA StatiCa from the right-click menu, selecting the analysis results to use at the same time.
Specify the file name and
location for this connection.
The IDEA StatiCa application opens to allow the connection to be designed, the following data having been transferred:
Note: The Tekla Structural Designer model remains frozen until you close the IDEA StatiCa connection.
- Connection geometry
- Section profile & material grade
- Connection forces for each active solved Tekla Structural Designer combination.
- Add bolts, stiffeners etc as required and design the connection.
Review of IDEA connections designed in Tekla Structural Designer
- Within Tekla Structural Designer click Review>UDA
In the Properties Window set Mode to Review and Attribute to IDEA StatiCa file
Joints associated with IDEA StatiCa are shown
- Use the right-click context menu to open previously exported connections back to IDEA StatiCa.