- Tekla Structures
- Share models and files
- Working collaboratively within a Tekla Structures model
- Work with Tekla Model Sharing
- Share a model in Tekla Model Sharing
Share a model in Tekla Model Sharing
Share a model in Tekla Model Sharing
When you start sharing your model in Tekla Model Sharing , you need to be logged in with your Trimble Identity in Tekla Structures. If you are not logged in, the Trimble Identity log in dialog box opens. You can invite other users to the models that you share.
Start sharing a model
- Open a single-user model that you want to share.
- On the File menu, click Sharing > Start sharing.
The Start sharing dialog box opens.
- Select the service from the Service list.
When you use Tekla Model Sharing for the first time and the on-premises sharing service is enabled, you need to select the service from the Service list. You can set up and use an on-premises service connection, or you can use the Tekla service. Tekla Model Sharing on-premises server requires a separate license and installation.
- If needed, enter a Code and a Description for the model.
- Code can be a site number, a project number, or an accounting number, for example.
- Add Description according to your company conventions.
- Invite other users to share your model by entering their email addresses to the Invite users box and set their user role either to Editor , Owner , Project viewer , or Viewer.
You can add several users at one go. Separate the email addresses with semicolons. If you add several users at one go, they all get the same user role. The role can be changed later.
- Click the Add button to add the users to the model.
- Select the Send e-mail notification to user. check box to send a notification email to the invited users, and write a message to the users.
- Click the Start button to start sharing your model.
The model is saved and written out to the sharing service.
When you open the model the next time, you have two alternatives:
- In the Tekla Structures start screen when you open Tekla Structures :
- Go to the Shared models tab and log in with your Trimble Identity.
- Click Continue to open the Shared models dialog box.
- Select the Show shared models on this computer check box to list the models.
- Click Join.
You can also open shared models on the Recent or All models tabs. Log in with your Trimble Identity to read in and write out.
- In File > Open > Browse shared models .
User roles in Tekla Model Sharing
User roles define a user's permission level to the model. There are four different user roles in Tekla Model Sharing : Owner , Editor , Project viewer and Viewer. When you start sharing your model in Tekla Model Sharing , you become the Owner of the model. The Owner can invite other users and give them one of the four different roles.
The permission levels of the four different user roles are described in the table below:
As an Owner you can select the roles when you invite users to a shared model, or any time during a project. If you change the role of a user in File > Sharing > Users , you can send a notification email to the user. If you include a short message in the email, all the invited users and the users whose role has been changed receive the same message.
Several users can have the Owner role within one model. The Owner who has started to share the model can give the Owner role to any selected user.
With the Project viewer role you cannot
Note that when you open the model in the Project viewer role, Tekla Structures restart is required.
The permission level of the Project viewer role in a shared model corresponds with the set of functionalities available in the Project Viewer configuration.
Note that when you open the model in the Viewer role, Tekla Structures restart is required.
Note that your permission to the shared model is removed when you detach the model from the sharing using one the following methods:
Exclude the model from the sharing using the Exclude from sharing command
Upgrade to the next Tekla Structures version
Use the Save as command to save the model
Information on users and sharing actions in Tekla Model Sharing
When you want to check the Tekla Model Sharing users and the basic sharing actions on the model, or invite new users to the shared model, open the Users dialog box in File > Sharing > Users.
Name of the user.
Email address of the user.
Role of the user: Owner , Editor , Project viewer , or Viewer.
When you start to share a model, you become the Owner of the model and you can set other users' roles. The roles can be changed later, if needed.
Use the different roles to control the permission levels to the model.
Note that there can be more than one Owner within one model.
Indicates whether the invited user has joined the model.
Date when the user has joined the model.
Person who invited the user or changed the user role the last.
Last read in
Date when the user last read in.
Number with the arrow down indicates the total number of update packets available in the sharing service.
The number next to the arrow indicates how many of the packets the user has read in.
Last write out
Date when the user last wrote out.
Number with the arrow up indicates the total number of update packets available in the sharing service.
The number next to the arrow indicates the number of the last packet that the user has written out.
Remove the selected user's permission to the model.
Only Owner can remove other users from the sharing service.