Manage Tekla Structures licenses
Online licenses, which is the default option for new Tekla Structures licenses and how the Tekla Model Sharing feature is licensed.
On-premises licenses that you activate locally on a license server you install on your own hardware. Users connect to your local server to reserve a license.
Working with online licenses
You activate online licenses for each user's Trimble Identity, after which the user is able to choose a license when they log in to Tekla Structures. Administrator users can monitor the online license usage and contract manager users can manage your subscription renewals in the Tekla Online Admin Tool.
For online license instructions, see Manage Trimble Identities and Tekla Online licenses.
Working with on-premises licenses
To get started with on-premises license administration:
- Make sure you understand how licensing works, see Tekla Structures on-premises licensing.
- Install the license server as explained in Installing Tekla license server.
- Make sure the license server can connect to Trimble's activation server and clients can connect to the license server, see Allowing Tekla license server to operate through Windows Firewall.
- Activate your licenses on the server as explained in Activate on-premises licenses.
- Test that licensing works and connect the clients to the license server as explained in Preconfigure license server settings for users.
Additionally, you can ensure that the correct types of on-premises licenses are available to the users who most need them by defining access rights for using and borrowing licenses as explained in Modify on-premises license access rights (tekla.opt). This can prevent situations where there are no licenses available for users that need them because someone else has reserved or borrowed a license that they do not really need.
When you renew on-premises licenses and when you need to make hardware changes on the license server, you must deactivate your licenses as explained in Deactivate on-premises licenses.
If your on-premises licenses have become untrusted or disabled, they cannot be used and you need to repair them. For information about how to do this, see Repair an on-premises license.