Export layout data from Layout manager
You can use Layout manager to export layout data from your model to a layout device, such as Trimble® LM80.
Export layout data
You have two options when exporting:
- Export the layout data from Layout manager to a file and move the file later to a layout device.
- Export a file directly to a layout device. You can do this if you connect the layout device to your computer using a USB, or a Bluetooth connection.
Before you export, you can define the default export settings in Layout manager settings .
- On the Manage tab, click Layout manager.
- Check from the settings that the default export settings are as intended.
group that you want to export.
The points in the group are exported according to the group local coordinate system. The local coordinates of the points are shown in the export dialog box.
and select the appropriate file type for the export.
Export point file (.txt) to export layout points.
Export job file (.cnx) to export all layout data in the model to Trimble® LM80.
Export Field Link file (.tfl) to export all layout data in the model to a Trimble Field Link device.
Note that in addition to Trimble devices, other layout devices can also read in the .txt and .cnx file types.Note:
The layout points that you create in the model are design points that you can export to use in a layout device.
The maximum length of the layout point name is 16 characters if you export layout data to .cnx and .tfl formats. When exporting to a text file, there is no limitation in the number of characters in the name. The maximum length of the description is 24 characters.
- Select the destination folder and enter a name for the export file.
Select the coordinate system for the export from the
Export local coordinate system list.
- If you are exporting one group, the Export local coordinate system list shows the base point of the group. You can change the coordinates by selecting another option from the list.
- If you are exporting more than one group and the groups do not have the same local coordinate system, the
Export local coordinate system list shows the text:
Local coordinate systems of groups. If you use this option in the export, each group uses the base point that has been defined for it.
You can also use one base point for all the groups in the export by selecting the coordinate system from the Export local coordinate system list.
If needed, select a drawing in
Map file (.dxf).
You can attach a layout drawing when exporting a job file (.cnx) and a Trimble Field Link file (.tfl). You can use the layout drawing with the layout point data in the layout device. To ensure that the drawing is exported correctly, you need to define the drawing scale.
- Click Export to export.
Define default export settings
You can define the default export settings for each export file type: point file (.txt), Trimble LM80 job file (.cnx), and Trimble Field Link (.tfl). The units depend on the settings in .
- On the Manage tab, click Layout manager.
- Click to open the settings.
Point File to define the export settings for point files (
- Select the unit.
- Select the delimiter.
- Define the order of column headers in point files. Right-click a header in the list and select Move Up or Move Down.
Trimble LM80 to define the export settings for Trimble® LM80 job files (
- Select the Default directory.
Select the default
You can select to export as meters, feet-inches, or survey feet.
Select the plane
The default angle unit is Degree.
Version of the Trimble® LM80 device.
The default version is V4. Ensure that the setting matches the version of your layout device.
Click Trimble Field Link to define the Trimble Field Link file default directory (
- Click OK.
Define the drawing scale
You can include a drawing when exporting all layout data in a job file or a field link file from Layout manager by adding the drawing to the Map file (.dxf) box in the export dialog box. The drawing is exported in the .dxf or .dwg format. To ensure that the drawing is exported correctly, you need to define the drawing scale.
Create a general arrangement (GA) drawing of your model.
We recommend that you make the drawing as simple as possible, only include parts and grids to show the drawing correctly in a layout device. You might want to create a drawing layout especially intended to be used in Layout manager export.
- Open the drawing that you are going to use as a drawing layout.
- Double-click the drawing view frame to open View Properties.
- Copy the drawing scale.
- Close the drawing.
- On the Manage tab in the model view, click Layout manager.
- Click Drawing Scale Calculator.
- Enter the drawing scale in the Scale Denominator (e.g. 48, 128) box.
The drawing scale is shown in the Scale box.
- Copy the drawing scale from the Scale box and close the Drawing Scale Calculator dialog box.
File menu, click
Tekla Structures opens the Document manager dialog box and the Export drawings as DWG/DXF dialog box.
- In the Document manager dialog box, select the drawing that you want to export.
Export drawings as DWG/DXF, do the following:
- In File location, select the export folder.
Drawing as snapshot to CAD model space check box.
The Scale box is shown.
- Enter the drawing scale in the Scale box.
- Click Export.