Split and splice a reinforcement
You can split long reinforcing bars and bar groups that exceed the stock length, and create splices in split locations.
Use the Automatic splicing tool macro to split and splice reinforcement that exceeds the stock length. You can first check the length of the reinforcing bars in the model according to the manufacturer. You can then define the portion of the reinforcement to be split and spliced in the same cross section, and the location, symmetry, type, and length of the splices.
- Click the Applications & components button in the side pane to open the Applications & components catalog.
- Click the arrow next to Applications to open the applications list.
- Double-click Automatic splicing tool to start the macro.
Automatic Splicing Tool dialog box:
Select the manufacturer of the reinforcement.
The maximum bar lengths and lap lengths are then listed by the grade and size of the bar.
If needed, you can define the length information in the AutomaticSplicingTool_Manufacturers.dat file. You can copy the default file from ..\ProgramData\Trimble\Tekla Structures\<version>\environments\common\system , edit it, and save it to your project or firm folder.
- For the bar grades and sizes that are not listed in the AutomaticSplicingTool_Manufacturers.dat file, use the Maximum length for unspecified stock box to define the maximum reinforcing bar length after which the bars are split and spliced.
To check if the length of the reinforcing bars exceeds the maximum length, click one of the buttons next to
Perform check to:
To check all reinforcement in the model, click All.
To check specific reinforcement, select the reinforcement in the model using the Select objects in components switch , and then click Selected.
Tekla Structures lists the reinforcing bars that are longer than the maximum length under Longer rebars on the right side of the dialog box.
When you select a row in the Longer rebars list, Tekla Structures highlights the corresponding reinforcement in the model.
- Define which proportion of the reinforcement can be spliced in the same cross section.
- Define the symmetry that is applied when the reinforcing bars are spliced.
- Define the offset of the splice center point.
- Define the minimum longitudinal distance between two parallel bar splices.
Select the splice type.
You can create lap splices, coupler splices, or welded splices.
For lap splices, define
the default lap length as a distance or in relation to the nominal bar
This value will be used if there is no lap length defined for a bar grade and size in the AutomaticSplicingTool_Manufacturers.dat file.
- For lap slices, define whether the lapping bars are on top of each other or parallel to each other.
To split and splice reinforcement, click one of the buttons next to
Perform split and splice to:
To splice all reinforcement in the model, click All.
To splice specific reinforcement, select the reinforcement in the Longer rebars list, or in the model using the Select objects in components switch , and then click Selected.
- Select the manufacturer of the reinforcement.