Apply simple wind loads to wall/roof panels and open structure members
In case you do not want to construct an entire wind model, you can elect instead to define a simple pressure loading profile. This can be used to apply loads to wall/roof panels & open structure members, as described here, or to diaphragms.
When using this option, the simple wind load is applied as area loads on wall and roof panels which are then decomposed by the panels to the structure members. Loads are also applied directly to those members, ancillaries and equipment entities for which the “Apply open structure wind load” property has been enabled.
- Select the structural members, ancillaries, or equipment to which the load is to be applied.
In the Properties window, under Wind loading, select Apply open structure wind load
Note: The Apply open structure wind load property is already selected by default for ancillaries and equipment, (but can be deselected if required).
Additional properties then become available, allowing the shape factor and effective area factors used in the wind load calculation to be customized.
- Edit these additional properties, if required.
Create loadcases for simple wind loads
On the Load tab, click Loadcases.
The Loading dialog box opens.
- On the Loadcases page, click Add.
- Name the new loadcase.
- Set the type to Wind.
- Click OK.
Create simple wind loads
- In the Loading list, select a manually created wind loadcase.
- On the Load tab, click Simple Wind.
- In the model, click to define the start point of the load width.
Click to define the end
point of the load width.
The Simple Wind Loading dialog box opens. The dialog box allows you to specify a single area wind load from the lowest level of the building up to the highest level that contains a rigid diaphragm.Tip: The wind load does not have to begin at the lowest level of the building.
If you have one or more levels below ground, you can adjust the value of the lowest level in the Simple Wind Loading dialog box.
- In the Apply to droplist, select Wall/Roof Panels & Open Structure Members
- Select the required Pressure option from the droplist.
- Choose whether to extend the wind to the top the building.
- Choose whether to extend the wind across the building width.
- Specify the required load profile manually, or paste the load profile from a spreadsheet.
- To manually create a stepped profile up the height of the building, use the Insert Above, Insert Below, Quick Above... and Quick Below... buttons and then specify the load for each level.
- When the load is complete, click OK.
Modify simple wind load vertical properties
Double-click anywhere in an
existing simple wind load.
The Simple Wind Loading dialog box opens.
- Modify the load properties according to your needs.
- Click OK.
Modify the simple wind load width
- Select the simple wind load that you want to modify.
- Select one of the two nodes that define the load width.
Click where you want to move
the selected node.
Tekla Structural Designer moves the selected node to the new location, and regenerates the load.