Install Tekla PowerFab on a client
After server installation, you can proceed to client installations and defining the Default Directories for a client.
Install Tekla PowerFab on a client
- Go to Tekla Downloads and download the installer for the desired Tekla PowerFab version or service pack.
To ensure that you are using the same version installed on the server, use the installation file downloaded for the server install.
- Double-click the installer to run the installation.
- Review the license agreement. Select Accept and click Next.
- From the drop-down menu, select the installation type Client.
New Tekla PowerFab Installationis selected by default.
- Select the installation folder.
- Click Install.
The Tekla PowerFab installation starts.
- When the installation is complete, close the installer.
- Open Tekla PowerFab using the desktop icon or the Windows Start menu.
- Sign in with a Trimble Identity.
The Connection Settings window opens with the default connection information.
- To connect to the server, change the Connection Settings information to your Tekla PowerFab server.
Use either the IP address or the server name. Change the port only if it was set differently on the server.
- Sign in with a username and password for the database.
If no username and password have been created for you, use the default values:
- User: admin
- Password: fab
Default directories for client
The recommended directory structure for clients is the following:
- Backup - \\(IP Address)\Shared Folder\Backup
- Export - %USERPROFILE%\Desktop (User preference)
- Import - %USERPROFILE%\Desktop (User preference)
- Log - C:\Users\Public\Documents\Tekla PowerFab\Log
- Document Index -\\(IP Address)\Shared Folder\Documents
- Drawings - \\(IP Address)\Shared Folder\Documents
- Updates - \\(IP Address)\Shared Folder\Updates
- Custom Reports - \\(IP Address)\Shared Folder\CustomReports
Backup: Tekla PowerFab database backup files. This can stay as default as backups are rarely done from a user's device. User preference.
Export: Initial location selected for the export of files. User preference.
Import: Initial location opened for the selection of import files. User preference.Note: Once a file type has been selected, the location defaults to the last opened location.
Log: Import log and error log text files. Leave as default.Note: This is typically set to a local path on each device so as not to combine information from different devices in the same error logs.
For Document Index, Drawing, Update, and Custom Report, it is best to use an IP address or an UNC file path. These need to be set to a shared network location normally on a server.
- Document Index: Files that are linked or attached to records in the program and to be shared among other users. A shared network location required. See also Set the standard categories for attached documents.
Note: It can be useful to use the same directory as Drawing in that it automatically creates project-specific folders that can be then set as the directory for other documents related to the specific project.
- Drawing: Drawing directories for each project, type, log, and revision are automatically created within this directory. Drawing files are copied to the appropriate directory during import. A shared network location required.
Update: Tekla PowerFab update files.
With the new update file placed in the directory, the user is prompted to run the update when they open the program. A shared network location required.
Custom Report: All customized report files. This directory is not created during the installation and, therefore, you must add it.
Extension: This is activated in the administrator settings and is not visible by default.
The purpose of this directory is to allow external software API extensions developed by others for combining and cut lists to be added to the program.