How can I connect to a license server?
Assigning a server during installation:
A license server is intended to be assigned during the installation of a product. The user is asked to select a license method during the installation process (server in this case), then asked to type either the name (hostname) of the server or the IP address of the server.
When the installation is complete and the product is launched, the product will use the server method and server name assigned during the installation to claim a license.
Assigning a server after installation:
This is one of the most frequently submitted queries to Tekla Support.
If the incorrect license method is assigned during installation e.g. selecting Local Computer Locked instead of server by mistake, the installation wizard will not prompt the user to assign a license server.
As a result of the above, when launching the product, the License Manager will launch instead due to the product searching for a non existent local license instead of a server license.
The steps below run through the changes required to assign a license server and successfully launch the product:
- Go to Start > Tekla > System and User settings
- Select Products (top left) then select the relevant product on the right
- Switch the License Method to Server
- Select the License Server page (top left)
- Click Find on the right - the search results should display your license server
- Select the new server, click OK then close the settings
- Launch the product when complete